Monday, September 21, 2015

This Week In Homeschooling: Week 2: Rosh Hashanah

Last week was our second week of K4. It was a bit tougher than our first one because the new school year sheen was gone and neither one of us was as excited. We still powered through it though and we are settling into our new routine. We managed to complete 3 lessons each of reading, handwriting, and math and we completed all of this week's theme which was Rosh Hashanah.

Reading

We moved right along this week, learning about D, E, and F. Once again there were cute little ideas about how to do each of the craft sheets.


For D we were to cut out a little fabric dress for the dog.


For E we used Elanor's fingerprints to make peanuts.


 For F we used her fingerprints to make a fish. 


We also played rhyming games involving cards provided for each lesson. This was actually kind of cool. When I first got the All About Reading Kit I had a ton of little cards to break apart and then place into this little box with dividers. Now, once I get to a specific lesson all the cards for that lesson are waiting for me.

I really value the organization!

Elanor really likes this game called "Get Out of the Wagon!" where you place three words, two rhyming one not, in this drawing of a wagon. You have to determine which word doesn't rhyme and then you can yell "Get out of the wagon!" at it. I think the yelling part is her favorite. We also played a couple of memory games involving Ziggy the puppet, and of course she loooves him.

Elanor seems to be doing slightly better at rhyming this week. Next week there will be some new rhyming games not involving the cards, so we'll see how that goes.

Handwriting

For some reason Handwriting is the hardest thing to get Elanor to do, especially because this week we finished the point and scribble phase and moved onto the coloring phase. Elanor is not a fan of coloring. I'm not sure if it is because it's hard for her or just because it's boring. I'm not really a big fan of coloring myself, so I understand. We try to do it first thing in the morning, when she is at her best, and if she needs to stop and take a break, we do.


Here she is taking a break from coloring her reading papers to arrange marker tops. 

As I said, we moved from point and scribble to coloring this week. One of the pages even involved drawing lines. The first page we did was coloring in some little bugs. 


Then the line drawing.  

I thought she did a pretty good job. I know for a fact this is something they work on in occupational therapy.

The last page was all coloring, with emphasis on colors. Elanor has known her colors for a while now, even before they worked on them extensively in the Calvert Pre-K curriculum, so I didn't really talk about that too much. 

The next few pages are all very similar to this one, but with different colors. I'm not really looking forward to it, but I do think it's good for her to practice trying to stay in the lines, and it's generally good for her hand strength.

Math

This week we continued to work on section 1, which is about sorting. Each section has 9 parts and a review, and this week we did parts 1.5, 1,6, and 1.7. Elanor did great and she really enjoyed it! She's always asking me to "do math."






This coming week we will be finishing up this section and completing the review. The next week's section is on numbers 1-5, so that should be a little more challenging.

Theme: Rosh Hashanah

When I was first starting to map out the weekly themes I printed out a calendar of religious holidays so I could pick a few to do besides the standard Halloween, Christmas, etc. Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year, was already on my radar though, because my family is Jewish. We ended up doing the whole thing in one day, the day that actually was Rosh Hashanah, and it worked out well. 


Craft

All the Rosh Hashanah crafts seemed to be apple related, due to the fact that on Rosh Hashanah Jewish people eat apples and honey for a sweet new year. Elanor can't actually eat apples because of her dysphagia, but that doesn't prevent her from using them for art. We decided to go really simple and old school and use apples as stamps. 


She did a few more, but this was the one I liked the best. It was a great sensory activity because she got to get paint all over her, which she loves. 

Book


I found Happy New Year, Beni by Jane Breskin Zalben by searching for "Rosh Hashanah" in the library catalog. I wasn't disappointed. It gave a quick synopsis of what Rosh Hashanah is, and some of the cultural traditions that surround it. It even had a nice little moral at the end about forgiveness. Definitely everything I was looking for this week. 

Video

Our video this week is from Shalom Sesame, an English version of the Israeli Sesame Street, Rechov Sumsum. I found quite a few cute videos from Shalom Sesame, including a play on Hannah Montana called Rosh Hashanah Hannah. In the end I decided on this one, which touches on the whole apples and honey thing, but also talks about the shofar which is another important aspect of Rosh Hashanah. A shofar is a ram's horn that is blown to usher in the new year. The video I used is called "The Sticky Shofar." 


There are three parts but it is really easy to find all three on Youtube. Elanor really liked the puppets and she recognized some of her friends from Sesame Street, so it was a hit. Maybe she even learned something.

Next week's theme: police. 






1 comment: